Feelings of Disappointment: Job Interviews and Second Guesses

My latest job interview on Wednesday was quite possibly the worst job interview experience that I have ever had. I felt exhausted, was running and late and did not have time to eat or drink anything before going in. I did not realize that I would be facing a panel of 4 people. The panel interview is quite possibly the most intimidating type of interview; nothing is scarier than 4 people that you do or don't know asking you questions that you can see they are scoring you on. The types of questions that were being asked were completely reasonable. However, I had not engaged in any preparation which I now see was a huge mistake. 

I have long been on a kick of just winging it and letting the cards fall where they may, with limited success. Brainstorming possible questions that would be asked and how I would respond to them would have been very advantageous. As I write this now I also realize that presenting myself as having prepared responses would have been a good characteristic to present a potential manager and new health care team. Instead I appeared to be an unprepared idiot. Even worse, the manager interviewing me is my manager in my casual position at UBC and one of the other panel members is a nurse that I have worked with. All I can think of now is how after I walked out of that interview they had more than enough bad things to say about me and the complete lack of confidence they must have in my ability to nurse carefully and conscientiously during my future casual shifts.

I am still debating in my head whether the fact that two of the people in the interview know me and possibly know of my work ethic and proven past abilities to nurse effectively will make any type of difference as to what my final interview score will be. There are 11 positions that need to be filled. However, I am not crossing my fingers about getting a call back for this position. Lesson learned.

I applied for another posting in acute psych at VGH today. I am hoping that I get a call for an interview and I am hoping that I remember to prepare for the interview this time.
Here is a website that offers sample nursing interview questions and how to appropriately answer them.

I hope your future interview experiences go better than mine did.

Love,
Michelle D.


Post-Interview Update 
P.S. I ended up getting this job. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Developing a Personal Nursing Philosophy

Recovery Alliance Theory

Getting Past "Just Say No": Reflections on Adolescents and Substance Use