A Nurses Reflection - New Jobs. New Ideas. New Me?

In recent weeks I have become the Executive Vice President of KSDavison & Associates and obtained a casual Registered Nursing position in the Day Health program at the Dr. Peter AIDS Foundation

Both of these are very exciting new opportunities because they are allowing me to venture into areas of business and health, respectively, that I have not previously had experience with.

Did I mention that I had a baby 5 months ago? 

Leadership Ventures     

KSDavison & Associates is a company owned and operated by my husband, Kelly S. Davison. Although he is now a third-year nursing student, in his previous (current)career his role was Traditional Knowledge Facilitator. I am very pleased to say that I am now going to be part of this company. The past month has been full of firsts. I went on my first business trip, helped to facilitate my first Traditional Knowledge Use (TDK) interviews, and am beginning to learn how to write TDK reports. Although the bulk of my work in my Executive Vice President position currently consists primarily of interview transcription I know that my role will greatly expand in the upcoming months. I have also decided that I am going to pursue a new avenue of interest, web design.

Web design is something that I have been interested in for the past 15 years, beginning with my first online 'zine that I published when I was in grade 10. I feel as though this is an optimal time to move forward with this interest in a serious way that will allow me to approach both my nursing, business, and writing interests.

I am excited to say that I have also successfully obtained a position at the Dr. Peter AIDS Foundation. This had been an organization that I previously did not know much about. In the past few weeks, I have seen how the day health program really does help a very marginalized group that is suffering from multiple barriers to health care be supported in their experience with HIV management. It is refreshing to work with a group of staff you really do love their jobs. It is also refreshing to work with clientele who are very appreciative of the service that is being provided. It's also great that the building is a newer, well-designed space for the services offered.

The learning curve for both of these new jobs is steep but I am up to the challenge.


Love,

Michelle D. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Developing a Personal Nursing Philosophy

Recovery Alliance Theory

Getting Past "Just Say No": Reflections on Adolescents and Substance Use