Nursing and the Vancouver DTES

Working in mental health and addictions in Vancouver is tough. I think that there are many challenges to trying to "fix" the "problem" of the downtown eastside. And I'm pretty sure the answer isn't gentrification, pushing the visibly homeless further east or pouring more and more money in to the supply side of the illegal drug trade. This is not a novel idea that I have. If you do not believe me, think about this: There are many different stores that sell high calorie, low nutritional value foods that taste great. If one store that sells these products closes down, even a big store, like Safeway, the demand for these items does not decrease. People will still want to buy junk food. You severely decrease the supply, but people will still crave junk food and will probably go out of their way to seek it out. So why wouldn't a good entreprenuer step in and provide this product for those who want it? They make money, the public gets what it wants. Everyone wins. It's simple economics.

I am pretty certain that no one wants to suffer from an addiction issue. While drug use is a choice, when the point of addiction is reached using is not really a choice anymore. If you do not believe me ask someone who suffers from an addictions issue (substance related or process related). I am also pretty sure that the reason why "drug addicts" are viewed so negatively is partly due to the arbitrary distinction of legality. If you do not agree think about the way that you percieve someone who goes out and binge drinks and then think about how you see someone who binge injects heroin. Sadly, it sometimes seems like despite all the good intentions and hard work of health care professionals and other social service workers who work with those in the DTES the welfare of those most impacted by addictions issues, and the concurrent issues like mental health and poverty, are not really better off for it.

Yesterday a client asked me, "why do people get addicted to drugs? Why am I a drug addict?" I talked to him for a little while about his life experiences and how he came to be both addicted to heroin and living in the Vancouver Downtown Eastside. He explained that he is originally from a small town in a different province, came to Vancouver when he was 15 to get away from home and after being on the street for a short time was introduced to heroin and a short while later found himself unable to live without it. Unfortunately, I think that this is a similar story to many people struggling with addictions issues in the Vancouver Downtown Eastside. He went on to tell me that at this point in his life, more than twenty years living with his addictions issues, he is ready to stop using. So, what happens now? My conversation with him was unfortunately interrupted because of other more emergent medical issues with a client in another area of the centre.

As I sit here writing this I am watching the Vancouver DTES based reality COP show, The Beat. Watching the law enforcement side of things is interesting. I understand that part of the motivation of this show is to provide positive PR for the VPD but at the same time I also understand that being a beat cop in the DTES is a tough job that most people wouldn't want to do in a much different way than it is being a nurse in the DTES.

Sometimes I wonder if the addictions issues so prevelent in the Vancouver DTES can really be fixed. Sometimes I know that for every tiny victory there are many more defeats. It feels like every solution is a tiny band-aide that does not really address the bigger problems. So what is the solution? 

Today my husband and I decided that when I am on maternity leave for the next baby we plan to have we are going to move back in with my mother, who lives in the Calgary area. I have never worked as a Registered Nurse in Calgary but I must say I am now looking forward to it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Developing a Personal Nursing Philosophy

Recovery Alliance Theory

Getting Past "Just Say No": Reflections on Adolescents and Substance Use