Caring for the Professional Carer

Caring is an integral part of nursing. Caring is not a technical skill. We cannot quantify it. But, it is the foundation of all we do as nurses. That's not my idea. Seminal nursing theorists like Jean Waston and Sister Simone Roach crystallized ideas of caring in nursing decades ago. I think, now more than ever, we as nurses can revitalize not only our profession, but the healthcare system by embracing theories of caring. 

We nurse with our hearts and our minds. In the 9 years of my nursing career I have seen how much of ourselves many nurses give when they enter into the caring relationship with their patients. I have walked the fine line between exemplary care and burning out. I think that in a profession that is centered around care it can be easy to ignore care of ourselves in our efforts to care for our patients. However, when we lose sight of ourselves and our wellness we are sacrificing both our hearts and our minds.

In the last nine years of my nursing career, I have learned firsthand that if we do not care for our patients then we cannot be empathetic, compassionate, or ethical in our care. In the landscape of health care today, with increasing pressure to do more with less, less staffing, less money, less experienced nurses, fewer nurses, how are we to survive if we cannot care for ourselves? 

In my experience, it is all too easy to forget about caring for ourselves in the seemingly endless pursuit to help more and help better. But I think that, as nurses, we need to hold ourselves accountable to the care we give to ourselves, recognizing that ignoring our own needs creates a chasm between the care that we want to provide and the care that is actually being given. The result can be seen in the nervous flutter of anxiety that begins to compound in the put of our stomachs, growing into a massive ball of fear, shame, and disdain for a job that we once enjoyed. I think that when we are feeling that sense of dread about walking through the doors of our workplace we really have to challenge ourselves to ask the question, "what is happening with me today" and take a personal inventory of our emotional state.

I think that all too often we are quick to ignore the feeling of nervousness in our stomachs, or perhaps we are too afraid to ask:


  1.  What is going on with me right now?
  2.  Is today somehow different than yesterday?
  3. Do I have the ability to change the thing that is bothering me?
I think we also have to be really honest with ourselves about if we are holding our patients to a higher standard than ourselves and then explore why that is. Why is it acceptable to not only expect, but also demand that our patients are fully engaged in their health care when we may be quick to ignore both our mental health and our physical health needs? Is this a condition of the guise of selflessness an artifact of nursing? How can we collectively achieve a balance between caring for ourselves and caring for others?

How do we get to a place where compassion becomes central to nursing care?   



Peace,

Michelle D. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Developing a Personal Nursing Philosophy

Recovery Alliance Theory

Getting Past "Just Say No": Reflections on Adolescents and Substance Use